DIY Perfect Ponytail How-To’s with Expert Tips to Try Now
There’s more than new fashion trends to pay attention to on the runways as a slew of DIY hairstyles with tips from the experts who created them come your way.
And as we all know, DIY How-To’s when it comes to hair and beauty are often the most accessible as many of the products used to create new looks can most likely be found in your own bathroom, or at your local drugstore. From the perfect ponytail to mastering that cool-girl mix of straight and wavy, get set for the season with tips from the experts behind the scenes.
The Classic Ponytail-
Victoria Bekham, above
For hot summer hair days and fly-aways year-round, master stylist Guido created a perfect and utterly chic headband and ponytail combo for easy glamour. Redken Creative Consultant Guido muted the hair this season, in order to create a more homogenous runway look. The simplicity of the hair, which was pulled back into a low ponytail and finished with a basic black headband, emphasized cohesion over individuality. By minimizing the unique personalities of each model, Guido enabled Victoria Beckham to communicate her design aesthetic in a clear and concise manner.
>>DISCOVER: Spring 2014 Style Tips & Advice to Try Now
“Overall it’s a very minimal aesthetic, a very clean and modern look for Victoria Beckham. She wanted the hair to emphasize uniformity on the runway, which is why I pulled the hair away from the face and secured it with a basic black headband. In a way, this look is modernly classic.” -Guido, Redken Creative Consultant
Redken Products Used:
Satinwear 02 Prepping Blow-Dry Lotion
Fashion Work 12 Versatile Working Spray
Create the look:
1. Apply satinwear blow-drying lotion to damp hair from root to ends
2. Using a paddle brush, blow dry hair away from the face
3. Gather hair about one inch from the neck into a low pony and secure with elastic
4. Finish with versatile working spray to flatten any flyaways
5. Place headband over head and pull ponytail through
The Low Ponytail-
Helmut Lang, above
We love our 90’s era Helmut Lang here at FoS, in fact -we hoard it! Which made it a nice treat to see minimalism’s go-to hairstyle back at the master of the genre’s label. “The look was inspired by Helmut Lang’s designs, which were a nod back to the 90’s. I wanted the hair to have strong, clean lines to balance the baggier clothes. It is a bit masculine, but chic, and refined,” says lead Stylist Paul Hanlon for UNITE Hair.
UNITE Products Used:
UNITE 7Seconds Condition
UNITE Session Whip
UNITE Max Control Hairspray
Create the Look:
1. Prep the hair with the UNITE 7Seconds Condition, which contains a thermal protector. Then use a blow dryer and a paddle brush to achieve pin-straight locks..
2. Next, apply UNITE Session Whip, which was the star product for this look. The weightless mousse gave the hair girth, but not hold (like a gel might). For best use, apply the mousse liberally from roots to ends and continue to blow dry the product into the hair until it is completely dry.
3. To create a distinct part, use a rattail comb to perfectly section off the hair to the side, continuing to blow dry the hair straight down.
4. Next take 2-inch sections of hair and spray the roots of each one with UNITE’s Max Control Hairspray. As with the previous steps, continue to use a blow dryer to set the hair.
5. To complete the look, pull the hair into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with elastic. Then wrap a black leather hair accessory (Hanlon used one designed by Helmut Lang, above).
6. For a finishing touch, pull out some baby hairs for an effortless, natural look.
“The idea for the Helmut Lang Show was to create a controlled look by slicking the hair down and around the face, but not making it look crunchy or too shiny. We used products that would control the hair, but not make it too hard”, explains Hanlon.
And to perfect that much coveted straight/wavy look, try these tips-
At Marc by Marc Jacobs (above, right), Guido made the designers homage to disco party frocks modern with a relaxed, fuss free hairstyle. “The look encompasses a grungy, cool girl style; however, she has a certain European sensibility to her. I felt the hair needed to be rock-and-roll chic, but in a nighttime way. Working with oil-based products and texturizers really helped to achieve that heavier, night time feel.” -Guido, Redken Creative Consultant
Redken Products Used:
Satinwear 02 Prepping Blow-dry Lotion
Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine
Powder Refresh 01 Aerosol Hair Powder/Dry Shampoo
Create the Look:
1. Apply prepping blow-dry lotion to damp hair
2. Blow dry straight, section by section
3. Apply Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine from root to ends to eliminate frizz
4. Using a large barrel iron, bend the hair around the iron to create movement in the mid-lengths
5. Apply powder Refresh 01 Aerosol Hair Powder/Dry Shampoo from mid-lengths to ends to add texture and weight the hair down
Photos: courtesy of Redken and UNITEPublished on September 17, 2013