Olympic Beauty Secrets with Expert Hair & Skin advice from Mariya Koroleva and Mary Killman of the US Synchronized Swimming Team:
And with the London games in full effect, the Olympic duo are here to share some invaluable tips to keep your hair & skin looking their best just as you’re combatting sporty summer events. And trust them, after all, they’ve spent many a day battling the sometimes harsh effects of competitive swimming and know what it takes to keep you looking your best.
>>MORE: Expert Beauty Advice
· After a day of swimming, be sure to condition your hair with a leave-in treatment. Mariya and Mary love Infusium 23’s Repair & Renew Spray, which helps to alleviate breakage and split ends while strengthening hair to prevent future damage. It instantly detangles wet or dry hair and provides protection from daily elements and styling – whether it’s chemically treated water, over-exposure to the sun or excessive heat from blow dryers or straighteners.
· The ladies actually wear Gnox gelatin (unflavored Jell-O!) to hold their hair in place while they perform; in addition to its taming abilities, Gnox gelatin also helps to strengthen hair. If an at-home remedy is your preference, give it a try!
· If you’re worried about your hair turning green from excessive exposure to chlorine, try Infusium 23’s Color Defender collection. Mariya says it’s her favorite because in addition to replenishing her hair, the sulfate-free formula maintains color twice as long as other products.
>>DISCOVER: Stylish Workout Gear to get you inspired…
· If you’re looking to water-proof your make up before you head to the beach or pool, follow in USA Synchro’s footsteps and apply chapstick to your face as a primer!
· Chlorine can really dry out your skin, so the Team recommends using a heavy-duty body and face moisturizer specifically designed to reduce redness and calm irritated skin.
· If the chlorine level is too high or you’re exposed to it frequently, you may develop what the ladies call “pool face” – red and flaky patches on your face. They recommend applying Vaseline prior to swimming, as it serves as an ultra-strong moisturizer to help repair dryness and redness.
Photo: Michael Kors Resort 2013Published on July 30, 2012