Red Carpet Emmy Hairstyles- Julianna Margulies and Oliva Munn opt for soft waves
We’ve got the hairstylist tips to help you get the look, right now. Afterall, great hair is a whole lot more obtainable than a couture frock.
READ: Quick notes on Emmy Red Carpet Fashion
Emmy winner Julianna Margulies chose soft waves using Leonor Greyl products from the French hair brand that helped save my uber damaged hair this past winter.
Watch Mathew Monzon recreate Julianna Margulies’ Veronica Lake-inspired Style from the 2011 Emmys on this video or by following his styling steps below:
“For Julianna Margulies’ Emmys look, I wanted to mirror the glamour of her gorgeous Armani Prive gown with an old Hollywood, Veronica Lake-inspired style. However, I still wanted Julianna to look modern, so I kept the style somewhat deconstructed and started with damp hair,” Mathew expalins. Then…
- Work Leonor Greyl’s Lait Luminescence Bi-Phase Detangling Milk through hair, applying the product only from the mid-shaft down through the ends so as not to over-saturate it.
- To create volume, comb Leonor Greyl’s Mousse au Lotus Volumatrice through the hair with a wide-tooth comb and blow-dried it using a two-inch round brush.
- Make a deep side part on the left.
- Set the top portion of hair in Velcro rollers for a little bit of extra oomph.
Then, start to work on the back:
- Spray Leonor Greyl Voluforme Styling Spray for Volume and Hold to each section before curling.
- Use a 1½ inch curling iron to barrel-curl the bottommost layer of hair in a uniform directionCreate another layer on top of that one, barrel-curling the sections but this time change the direction of the curl from that of the first layer
- Continue this pattern for remaining portion of the back of hair by creating layer on top of layer, maintaining the direction of the curl within one layer and switching to the opposite direction for the next.
- Alternate the direction of the curl between layers allowed the hair to fall into the wave that I was hoping to achieve.
- After completing the back of her hair, Mathew removed the top half from the Velcro rollers and brushed through with a boar bristle brush, creating a soft wave with his fingers.
- To complete the look, finish with a spray of Leonor Greyl’s Laque Souple Light Styling Spray for hold.
Celebrity hair stylist Mika Fowler specialty is the the dry cut- cutting hair after it is blow dryed as opposed to when it is wet. To work with the vintage feel of Olivia Munn’s green Carolina Herrera Emmy’s dress seelction, Mika continued the retro flair by going with a 1920′s style hair-do of soft modern waves. Mika used a strong side part on Olivia’s hair while making a subtle wave along the right side of her face. She used used products from the Joico Design Collection and Sebastain Reshape Spray.Published on September 19, 2011
Resident fashion expert & style mentor- With just about 20 years experience in the glamour industry as a New York-based photography fashion stylist, syndicated columnist, contributing editor, lecturer, on-air television/radio fashion expert, and founder / editor in chief of FocusOnStyle.com. Sharon Haver knows the modern-thinking woman wants easygoing style that suits her individual needs, spiced with just the right amount of flip and wit to make it personal.