AN ICON FOR MEN’S STYLE…
AN ICON FOR MEN’S STYLE… The Thomas Crown Affair celebrity tailor tips you off on how to look great
The Thomas Crown Affair celebrity tailor tips you off on how to look great
If you cannot decipher chic from geek, flash to film and television to see what an actor’s wardrobe brings to mind. Think about the wrinkled raincoat Peter Falk wore as disheveled Colombo. Why Richard Gere’s polished wardrobe in American Gigolo catapulted Giorgio Armani’s fame. There’s Will Smith’s funky, but of course black suit, in Men In Black. The character Oscar Madison in any rendition of The Odd Couple should be the poster boy for Scotch Guard. Men no longer dared to wear pastels after Don Johnson in Miami Vice made Jordan Almond colors cool. And, we won’t even go to where Tinky Winky of the Teletubbies tutu is innuendoed by the fright right wing. Get the picture? I bet you would rather see yourself as Senior Suave rather than Ugo Unkempto.
Well, you men in need of a major elegance fix, coming to a theater near you on August 6th is the MGM/UA remake of the 1968 romantic-thriller, The Thomas Crown Affair starring Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo. Fashion filmophiles rate the original production up there with other fabulous style flicks like Breakfast At Tiffany’s, Funny Face, and Fellini’s La Dolce Vita… and today’s slick adaptation certainly gives the old fashion goat a run for its money. Brosnan’s art thief character’s only foil is not that he is also a zillionaire financier; it is his cool sex appeal and drop-dead wardrobe. Let’s face it, the man knows how to wear a suit!
Thomas Crown proves to be an icon for timeless men’s style. Milanese master-tailor Gianni Campagna is the designer responsible for the look. Name worthy custom clients such as Jack Nicholson, Charlton Heston, Sharon Stone, and Henry Kravis have had the pleasure of wearing a handmade, silk-lined suit of the finest wool that is measured, patterned, and honed to their body.
I asked Andrea Campagna at a recent The Thomas Crown Affair screening what hallmarks Gianni Campagna style:
– Most people look at how a suit fits when standing still in front of a mirror, but move around and see that the jacket remains smooth over shoulders and neck- Campagna suits have special hidden seams under the lapel to guarantee a rippleless fit.
– The suit needs to be comfortable, move with your body, and fitted to correct imperfections.
– Consider your occupation- banker or entertainer- and lifestyle before you select a suit style.
– Get your basic three first- stripe, gray, and blue.
– More sophisticated fabrics like linen, cotton, silk, and lighter colors build a suit wardrobe.
– A well-dressed man’s necktie should touch his waistband. Funny little tidbit: Campagna ties come in five different lengths to accommodate a wearer’s height.
– Change the weight and color of your necktie with the season–lighter in summer, of course.
If custom suits are too rich for your blood, Gianni Campagna expands with a ready-to-wear hand-made collection of suits and ties that’s launching spring 2000.
Despite what you think, any man–with a little work–can muster up the self-confidence and savoir-faire to look elegant, sharp, and well tailored…it just takes some awareness. Buy less, discriminate more, choose updated classic styling, and always opt for the best fit you can!
Resident fashion expert & style mentor- With just about 20 years experience in the glamour industry as a New York-based photography fashion stylist, syndicated columnist, contributing editor, lecturer, on-air television/radio fashion expert, and founder / editor in chief of FocusOnStyle.com. Sharon Haver knows the modern-thinking woman wants easygoing style that suits her individual needs, spiced with just the right amount of flip and wit to make it personal.