I’ll Have What She’s Having: Whoa, the Duchess of Cambridge goes rodeo
Talk about a photo op! The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge gussied up in Western duds to launch the parade for what is billed as “rodeo’s richest, roughest ride” at the Calgary Stampede in Canada.
Finally, I have found in Canada in common with Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge– the ability to pull off Western wear as a city slicker!
Well, for me at least, a NYC girl with a vacation home out West that I successfully decorated with an ode to Western icons Dale Evans and Roy Rogers… see, anyone can get their western on with the right inspiration!
So, how does a city girl get a cowgirl chic look, like Kate? With a few simple steps….
- Cowboys will probably wanna kill me, but a little Western goes a long way. Kate is wearing the Alice by Temperley London “Armonia” Blouse that has western styling rather than being full-out cowboy.
>> MORE: Kate Middleton Style
- Her belt is classic Western with silver and turquoise… an item that will probably be a go-to piece in your wardrobe over the years.
- Jeans are dark wash and slightly bootcut for a dressier rather than barrel racing feel.
- Dark brown cowboy boots are always classic and another item that you will want to revisit in your wardrobe.
- It has been reported that the custom made Smithbilt white western hats were designed to flatter the Royals’ faces, and they certainly do. Honestly, for me, cowboy hats are best only worn when in the West or have a tendency to look contrived rather than organic. So, forgo the cowboy hat unless you are a cowboy or in a western area.
See, pulling off western when it’s not native to you isn’t that hard to do… giddy up!
Here’s some cowgirl Kate inspiration…
Photo: via @etcanada twitpic