Everything’s right about a bare midriff and how to wear a crop top like Freida Pinto
I”ll Have What She’s Having: A flirty bare midriff in balance & how to wear the look.
I sure know about this one! I think I spent a good decade of my life running around in a variety of bare midriff crop tops! Having a 22 1/2 inch waist at the time I barely (cheesy pun, I know) met a midsection baring top that I didn’t like.
>> RELATED: AbFab, Rooney Mara in Miu Miu Belly Baring Chic
What was big in the eighties was a re-trend from midriff baring tops in the before air conditioned 1950′s. And a subtle nod that if you wore them in any one of those decades, this style has reached its expiration point for you. Just sayin’.
But for toned and taught newbies, midriff baring tops are back with a vengeance….
And, Frieda Pinto has all the right moves to make it look modern, fresh and adorable in her Salvatore Ferragamo 2-piece outfit. Do note, that’s midsection, not belly that you are baring… the difference of a few inches of exposed flesh just a tad low on the body makes all the difference from looking chic and cool in the summer months to sleazy.
>> MORE: Cannes Do Chic
Here’s how to make a modern midriff work…
- Don’t forget that it is ALL in the balance and proportion.
- Counterbalance the exposed flesh with a higher waist bottom that is more tailored than clingy.
- The smaller the top, like a bra top, the more real estate your bottom should cover.
- Nod to the early 90′s waist exposing and steal a baby T-shirt and pair it with supper high waist pants.
- A retro-ish midcalf, full skirt, Like Frieda’s and below, is the perfect flirty counterpart.
- Platforms, wedges, flatforms or flat espadrilles add the the weight to keep this look in sync.
- If you’re getting a belly roll, errr, maybe this look is not for you at the moment. Create the illusion of a bare midriff by layering a shorter lightweight linen knit sweater over a tighter fitting T-shirt.
- Keep hair and makeup soft and natural to avoid the Kardashian syndrome of going over the top.
Have fun with it and let the breeze we with you!
Are you game to wear a midriff baring top or do you have any crop top stories from back in the day? Please comment below…
We pulled some midriff baring tops from crop top to bra tops for you to scroll:
Photo:focusonstyle.onsugar and personal collectionPublished on May 22, 2012
Resident fashion expert & style mentor- With just about 20 years experience in the glamour industry as a New York-based photography fashion stylist, syndicated columnist, contributing editor, lecturer, on-air television/radio fashion expert, and founder / editor in chief of FocusOnStyle.com. Sharon Haver knows the modern-thinking woman wants easygoing style that suits her individual needs, spiced with just the right amount of flip and wit to make it personal.