Whether you’re a Francophile or not, we bet you’ve wondered how French women look chic in flats, and so has our latest reader’s inquiry…
Dear Sharon: I’ve been wearing flats again since they’ve come in and out of fashion over the past few years but I’ve yet to come across as a grown-up in them. I do enjoy the comfort and the fact that they are dressier than my trusted New Balance kicks. But being 5’2, I feel like I’m a far cry from Audrey Hepburn’s 60′s look. What can I do to look my best in flats, like a French girl kind of best? -A.R (via Fashion Advice)
Party Flats? Find out what to wear with even the flashiest pair!
A chic pair of flats should be considered part of the five essential basics in any woman’s footwear cache and once you get that perfect pair for everyday wear, you can begin to have fun with other options. Plus, elegant flats will give your feet a rest without compromising the polished look you are aiming for. And they take up less space in your closet!
But for those on the petite side, we suggest taking a cue from the iconic image of a stylish and casual French woman, say Ines De La Fressange. Below, we’ve culled some points to take note of that we assure are failproof, and simple to boot.
- No matter your height, opt for a cropped pant that is slim such as a cigarette
- A slim cuffed pant also does the trick for appearing taller
- A classic flat with a slight point should be your go-to shape
- Keep the flat spare of details and prints(except for animal) and go for neutral tones -keep it chic!
- A fit or flared skirt and dress silhouette works to keep the look demure
- Going tonal head-to-toe will make you look instantly pulled together & slim
- Avoid tube and fitted maxi shaped skirts that restrict
- Spend less on fun shoes and maybe consider getting the best quality flats for your buck
- One simple go-to outfit should consist of a cropped slim cut jean pair with a tucked or untucked button-down blouse and topped with a simple blazer
- If flats make you feel dumpy, try a little elevation by way of a 1″ heel
JUST ASK: Do you need some quick stylist help to amp up your style? Email us for Fashion Advice.
Want more tips to help you master French Chic Style? Join our newsletter today and get a free copy of “Passport to French Chic” here.
Shop a selection of on point flats online now:Published on December 12, 2013